Jeremy Gordon Workshop Syllabus
My class is taught in a fully present & interactive class format only. I do not offer “one on one” classes. I bring original scenes, which have been written as scenes by an established Hollywood writer, and are not pulled from longer pieces. Most of these scenes are unavailable anywhere else and I have consent from the writer to use them. As such, I cannot give them out ahead of time and I must collect them at the end of the class. As my class is geared towards a “cold reading format” the scenes are more than doable for the time frame we have. Worry not, my friends!
Some topics we will cover, but not limited to:
1. The business of acting since it takes a lot more than talent to succeed.
2. Social media and the permanent importance it has in your career, like it or not.
3. Being a “whole person” and not only a full time thespian.
4. Your Q’s and my A’s, so please come prepared with questions. Try to think beyond the most basic questions, as those answers are everywhere.
5. I am happy to look at your headshots and resumes and, if time allows, give feedback on them but please understand I will not be taking them with me. I legally cannot take any form of contact information for you during the class. Thankfully, I can find all of you on IMDB and social media – IF you’ve done your job correctly on that front and that’s something we will cover in class.
I will pair you up and give you original scenes. You will have approximately 15 minutes to prepare the scene (you do NOT have to be off-book) and then each pair will perform the scene in front of the class. We talk about it, I give you notes and redirection, and then you will do the scene again. Everybody stays for the entire class. You can learn just as much watching and listening as you can by performing. If you are not available for the entire class, you should take my class at a time better suited for you to maximize learning. This may sound tough but I want you to get the most out of our time together. I have a Master’s in Education and was a classroom teacher before casting so I know when to crack the whip and have fun at the same time.
I have some resources for you to access before and after class: https://www.facebook.com/groups/castingdirectorsforactors – it’s my professional Facebook page for industry people only. We currently have about 90,000 worldwide members and there is a TON of helpful info on that page. ***IMPORTANT – I do NOT accept personal friend requests on FB from actors so please do not send any. Denied friend requests on FB actually impact you negatively on the site – ask me about this in class and I will explain.
Twitter - @JeremyCasts Instagram @JeremyGordon Backstage - https://www.backstage.com/magazine/author/jeremy-gordon/ I have written various articles on topics actors ask questions about.